Sunday, July 25, 2010

So much attitude

Evelyn has so much attitude, i don't even know how to handle it. She gets frustrated with me and Andy and talks to us like we are complete morons, and when she wants to do something herself, and thinks we are trying to stop her she starts yelling, usually at me. When this happens she wont listen to a word I say and then I get frustrated and start yelling and then it's all down hill from there. The other day she wanted to put cream on her own bottom so I told her to hold out her hand so I could put some cream on it, well she just started yelling at me, i tried to explain that she could do it herself, and that I was trying to give her some. She just kept yelling, and I started yelling and finally I just threw my hands up and said I was through, i walked out of the room and shut the door. Evelyn can open doors herself, but when she loses her temper like that she doesn't think rationally, so she started screaming and pounding on the door. I opened the door and picked her up and she kept yelling at me so I said it was nap time, and put her in her room. A while after she settled down and got quiet I went in there to check on her. She had calmed down and was playing quietly so I sat down and started talking to her about how it's not nice to yell and how nothing is accomplished by yelling, and that if she won't yell at me I won't yell at her. She looks up at me with her gorgeous blue eyes and says "and no hitting too?" I just laughed and said yes no hitting either. Apparently the billion times i told her not to hit she actually heard me, she just chose not to listen. Anyway, about ten minutes after our discussion, she started yelling at me over some meaningless thing, but this time, I kept my cool and didn't yell back. I thought it was 13 year olds that acted like this not 3 year olds.

2 comments:

Natalie and Quin said...

Dude,the reason why she wasn't listening to you all those times you told her not to hit was because you weren't hitting her with an umbrella while you were saying don't hit. That really drives the message home.

Momma Bear said...

I am sorry that you are having to deal with the mini version of your sister but it sure makes for hilarious story-telling.